Phlebotomy Training in Washington State

Phlebotomy Training in Washington State Requirements

Phlebotomy training in Washington State is rapidly evolving as there are a number of new regulations that have gone into effect in 2013. The State of Washington has in the past treated phlebotomy as a health care assistant profession defined by the Department of Health. Recently the laws changed and phlebotomy now falls under a medical assistant profession. Phlebotomy training in Washington requires that you enroll in a program approved by the state and meet all requirements or pursue training supervised through a healthcare practitioner.  Upon finishing an approved phlebotomy training program you will need to make sure that you submit and application with the State of Washington. This application includes proof of all training and paying related fees.

Old Laws for Phlebotomists in Washington State

Phlebotomy Training in Washington State
Phlebotomy Training in Washington State

A healthcare assistant credential was the previous accredited name for phlebotomists who worked and drew blood in the State of Washington. This now old format required you to be either a Category A or Category B certified health care assistant. Category A allowed for venipuncture and skin punctures with category B allowing for arterials.

Past Requirements

Based upon the old enforced law in Washington State you only needed to meet a set of minimal set of requirements. There was a requirement that you needed to be at least 18 years of age. You also had to possess a high school diploma or have a GED.

New Laws for Phlebotomists in Washington State

Due to laws passed in 2012, the State of Washington has changed the procedures to become accredited as a phlebotomist. The new regulations have just come into effect. Now there will be a requirement to complete a training program from an accredited school or get sign off from a supervising healthcare practitioner that a program was completed. Those who have had related military experience just need to show proof of that training to meet the requirement. Upon completion of all requirements, you will be licensed through the State of Washington as a medical assistant – phlebotomist. If you are licensed as a health care assistant credential as of July 1, 2013 then you will automatically be certified under the new license.

The licensing in Washington State changed as of July 1, 2013 and this now means a more rigorous set of requirements to become trained as a phlebotomist. The first decision you must make before becoming a licensed phlebotomist in Washington State is what track you are going to take to become certified as a phlebotomist.

Phlebotomy Training Through an Accredited Program

Completion of an accredited program for phlebotomy training in Washington State is one option. The State of Washington requires that you choose a phlebotomy training program at an accredited school. Accredited schools should have a curriculum that meets all of the requirements for phlebotomy training in Washington State. There are several schools throughout the state that currently offer classes:

Phlebotomy Training Through a Health Care Practitioner

The second path toward meeting the requirements for phlebotomy training in Washington State is to complete a training course under the supervision of a health care practitioner. This path may be best for those who currently work in a health care setting and are looking toward cross training as a phlebotomist or changing careers. This option lets you become an accredited phlebotomist in Washington State while you are performing on the job training. Those who already perform phlebotomy techniques as part of other medical roles may also benefit from this path by becoming officially accredited with the State of Washington.

As mentioned, all training that you complete through this path for phlebotomy training in Washington State must be supervised by a health care practitioner. A proper training program must include aspects that test competency in ethics, patient confidentiality, patient identification processes, collection patterns, understanding of materials used, techniques for blood collection, terminology, and safety requirements. A supervisor should document proof of phlebotomy techniques completed in a simulated situation and with observation of correct dexterity and proficiency. There should be documentation of all duties, training and responsibilities completed.

Submitting Your Application

Application requirements include proof of high school education and a completed application.  You are also required to submit proof of AIDS training. There will also be fees to submit along with your application. Fees are currently $115 for the initial application and $20 to have your certification verified if needed. Additionally, you will be required to submit proof of completion of a program for phlebotomy training in Washington State done through a school or through a health care practitioner. If you have related military training then provide those transcripts as proof.

Renewing Washington State Phlebotomy License

The Washington State phlebotomy license must be renewed every two years after the first renewal. Licenses are good through the birthday of the licensee and can be renewed 90 days before or after the expiration date. Renewal applications are a $115 fee. If a credential is expired or late then a $55 fee is assessed.

Get Your Degree!

Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.

Powered by Campus Explorer


  1. I’m a Washington resident, currently staying in Hawaii. I wonder if a Phlebotomy course offered by ‘Advanced Care Training’ in Mililani, Oahu, #808-623-7109, would be an approved training source by WA state.
    Do I also understand correctly that obtaining a phlebotomy certification, now also requires traing as a medical assistant?
    Thank you for your reply. Laura Allingham

    • Phlebotomy Training Spot

      As of July 1, 2013, phlebotomy certification will fall under the medical assistant profession. This is just a way that the State of Washington is organizing phlebotomy certification. This does not mean that you have to complete a full medical assistant training program. If you could get your phlebotomy course done in Hawaii and then submit an application to the State of Washington before July 1, then you should be fine. Applications submitted after July 1 will be subject to new laws. Since the new laws are not yet fully implemented, it is unclear if phlebotomy training completed out of the State of Washington could be used to be certified if an application is submitted after July 1. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks

  2. I have both my NCCT cert and California state CPT1 license. I plan on moving to Wa. Do I still need to take a phlebotmy course in Wa or can i just apply for my Wa state licensure?

    • Phlebotomy Training Spot

      You should not have to take a phlebotomy training in WA. You will just need to have the state or certifying agency verify your license/certification. You can do this by filling out the “Out-of-State Credential Verification” page on the new Washington State application. You need to send the page to your state or certifying agency. They will send verification back to the State of Washington.

  3. I trained, interned and worked as a phlebotomist in Oregon. I also worked briefly in WA state. Have the WA state laws been clarified as yet so that I can know if I am qualified as a phlebotomist in WA, or if I will need to retrain in a certified program in WA state?

    • Phlebotomy Training Spot

      You will need to have the supervising healthcare practitioner in charge of the phlebotomy training program sign off. See the form link above for more information.

  4. hi, i am currently live here at california and planning to work at seattle washington is my certification valid thru seattle washington? if not how can i get my license so i can work there. thank you

    • Phlebotomy Training Spot

      You just need to fill out this application . You will need to send the out of state verification form. I would call the California Department of Health ahead of time to confirm where it should be sent.

  5. I’m currently getting my certification through the Navy, but I am stationed here. Will my certification through the Navy be accepted here? or is there a program in WA that works with the military?

    • Phlebotomy Training Spot

      Your military experience and training should allow you to get your phlebotomy certification with the State of Washington. You will just need to provide proof of your training and experience with your application.

  6. What if a person has been practicing phlebotomy for past 14 years in Oregon, worked for a company that provided OSHA refresher courses, annually. Has drawn blood with the company physician, and has over 13,000 successful draws. I have alos worked in a hospital lab.
    Can the company physician I worked with sign the form to attest to my phlebotomy techniques. I have had training back in 1980’s. I do not need training, so can there be a way around that. I need to come into WA a few times year, only. Not worth paying 1500.00 – 3000.00 dollars for retraining.

    • Phlebotomy Training Spot

      You will just need to have a healthcare practitioner sign off on your training and experience on the application.

  7. Hi! I completed my Phlebotomy Certification Course In Illinois and I am moving back to Washington in April. Am I able to apply for jobs? Or do I have to be a medical assistant as well to be a phlebotomist?

    • Phlebotomy Training Spot

      You do not have to be a medical assistant to be a practicing phlebotomist. Most employers are now requiring you to obtain a state license within a certain timeframe of getting hired. Most will want you to have your licensing withing 2 to 6 months.

  8. Hi, I have ASCP PT certification, do i still need to apply WA state licensure? if yes, how to apply? thanks

    • Phlebotomy Training Spot

      Yes you will still need to apply for the WA state license. Click on the application link above in the article and fill out the document accordingly.

  9. I recently completed the Phlebotomy course at Seattle Vocational Institute. Is there any way to become a licensed phlebotomist before getting a job as a phlebotomist. I’ve been told that I can’t get certified before becoming hired maybe because the course I took didn’t meet the required hands on clinical phlebotomy work. Although, I know that the course is a state approved phlebotomy course. The course was three months long and during the course I performed a total of 33 blood draws in which about 20 of those draws were successful. Thanks for the help.

    • Phlebotomy Training Spot

      I would check would call the State via the number in the application packet to double check the course you took is approved. You do need to meet all of the training requirements before becoming licensed through the State of Washington.

  10. I am an LPN, licensed in WA state and I’m looking for a bit of a career change. How do I go about phlebotomy training? How hard is it to find ‘on the job’ training? Or do I need to take courses? Thank you.

    • Phlebotomy Training Spot

      You will need to take a training program through an approved program if you decide to go that route. Alternatively, it is possible to get training through a health care practitioner (RN, PA or MD). Since you work as an LPN, you may be able to have one of the health care practitioners train you.

  11. I would like clarification on the following please: WHO issues a License to be a phlebotomist? I understand being a “certified phlebotomist” as I am and have been certified for over 23 years, however, there has never been a License that is issued to a phlebotomist. To be licensed one would have to hold liability insurance, credentialing through a BOARD, etc. WHO issues the so-called license? or are we just referring to a Certified Phlebotomist?

    • Phlebotomy Training Spot

      The key to the term “license” is that it is the authority grant from a government agency to an individual to practice phlebotomy . The government agency in this case is the Washington State Department of Health that issues the license to be a phlebotomist in the State of Washington. The requirement to have a “license” in Washington State recently went into effect in July of this year.

  12. I have worked as a phlebotomist for 10 years in WA I took a two day phlebotomy class in 2001 in CA at Boston Reed. I want to draw blood in WA Am i considered to be grandfathered in. Do I really have to get licenced in WA I can be nationally certificated for less money and does that nationally certificate take place for the WA state licience

    • Phlebotomy Training Spot

      You do need to be licensed now in the State of Washington to be a phlebotomist. The new set of laws came into effect in July 2013. You will not be grandfathered unless you were previously licensed in Washington under the old laws. A national certification like those from ASCP and NHA are not the same as a WA state license.

  13. I am livng in San Diego and carry California license, I am going to move to Spokane, WA. What sould I do? and Do I have to pay for the new application or just out-of-state paper? Do you have any website that I can contact directly for my license.

    Thank you

    • Phlebotomy Training Spot

      You can get a Washington phlebotomy license by submitting an application and a request for the state to verify your California license. The State of Washington will contact the State of California from that point. You will find the link in the article above for the application and out of state verification.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *